Saturday 27 September 2008

Some Pretty Things

Yesterday I received this wonderful card from Bonnie. I laughed so hard when I got it. It's absolutely adorable. (And in case you can't tell, that is not a picture on front, but an actual piece of knitted-ness on some toothpick needles. SO CUTE.) This card is made even funnier if you know the story of the first pair of socks I ever knitted (excessive rum might have been involved). I feel so loved! A package on Thursday and a card on Friday!
And here is a picture of a bracelet I made last night for Zeno. I wanted to say "thank you" for letting me borrow her flyswatter and also "sorry" since one of my classes broke a huge chunk out of her flyswatter. Oops. She seems to like it a lot. I like it too! For you chainmaille people out there, it's a normal mobeius pattern, I just put beads on the closed rings.
Today I am running over to the City Weekend office to check out that proof-reading business, then I need to rush back in time for the PingHe 27th night party. I'm still a little unsure as to what the whole party is about, but I'm expected to be there and it will also give me chance to see my students NOT in class.

The Jabberwocky exercise seems to be going over ok, though I have had to explain things over and over sometimes. Some kids have really excelled at it, and not always the ones I expected, which makes me happy. When we did tongue twisters I found an easy way to get kids interested. I told them any student that read one aloud to the class got an extra point on their homework. Little grade-grubbers jumped at the chance. ;-) They also taught me a tongue twister in Chinese, but I don't know what it means. To the dictionary!!!

As a side note, I finally found a way to get the lady behind the counter in Family Mart to stop talking to me in English. I bought a Chinese magazine (I wanted to practice my reading and writing and thought it would be more interesting and up to date than a text book). Suddenly now she always speaks to me in Chinese. :-D

No comments: