Tuesday 4 November 2008

Too Much At Once?

I have been feeling a bit sick these past few days and I can't help but wonder if it's because I've been stretching myself a bit thin. Trying to teach 60 plus students any number of different medieval projects in a short period of time takes it's toll on a person. Especially after a very busy weekend. This weekend I already have plans for all of Saturday.

The students have had mixed reactions to the projects. For example, a student in class B, Alex, is very excited to be learning how to make chainmail. He caught on very quickly so I gave him a pocketful of rings for him to keep working on after class ended. He came back later on in the same day to ask for more. Woah. Also, Emily and William from class D are building a really cool model castle out of cardboard. It even has a drawbridge that you can wind up and down. Some students seem to not care at all and work on work for other classes or try to play games on their electronic dictionaries when I'm not looking. First I encourage them to work on another medieval project if they think their first choice is boring. Second time I notice them not working I remind them that class participation is part of their grade. After that there really isn't much I can do. Luckily the uninterested students seem to be a small minority. It's discouraging, but I try not to focus on it.

Next week is their midterms and even though we hold some normal class periods, the other teachers tell me that they usually let them use their class periods to study. I think I'm going to show some medieval themed movies and give the students the option of watching the movies or studying. I figure a little stress relief would be welcome during midterms. Either studying or taking tests all day long can't be healthy.

Today, I came back to my apartment to eat lunch. When I feel sick I want food from home, not Chinese food. Lunch was interesting though, since I had a rather impromptu webchat with Alicia, Ciara, Michelle and Ulana from back at Drew. It was a lot of fun to talk to them. We took turns entertaining each other. It was a nice pick me up in the middle of my day.

I've been so exhausted. I think I might not actually be that sick it's just because I'm so tired that I feel so crappy. I've gone to bed at a normal time the last two nights and haven't been able to fall asleep. Then I keep waking up in the middle of the night. June gave me some Chinese herbal medicine. I'm going to take it before bed and hope for the best. I'm so tired I feel like I can't think straight.
This picture is really just for Dave. He had posted about this Japanese snack food in his food blog and when I was shopping yesterday I found them in the imported food section. I knew I had to buy a box and give them a try. I agree with him about how tasty they are. The chocolate middle is rich without being overly sweet and the cookie buns have a great crunch to them. And they are so cute!

Anyway, like I said, I can't think straight. I will probably go to bed super early tonight in attempts to recharge myself.

Much love,
Stephanie

5,062

No comments: