Tuesday 26 August 2008

"Cooking" in my "Kitchen"

Well, I did it. I started to cook in my kitchen.
















First up on the menu was some chicken/ramen/noodle type thing that I made for lunch yesterday. Amy suggested this brand at my first trip to Carrefour. I asked her what her favorite was and she pointed to a bright red package (which usually indicates SPICY). I told her I didn't want anything too spicy so she suggested another kind, which I bought. It was so spicy that it made my FACE HURT. Here is a picture of it cooking. I still ate about half of it because I was starving, but I don't plan on making it again. Maybe I'll give the rest to Amy.














At a larger trip to Carrefour yesterday, I bought a lot more food stuffs. Including....pork dumplings! I bought a package of frozen dumplings and boiled some for dinner. They were pretty tasty. They would have been better with some soy sauce or something. I need to get some more kitchen staples. Things like spices and oils and the like. Right now the only food I have that isn't a main food item in and of itself is a margarine-type-spread. I didn't feel like shelling out the big bucks to get "REAL BUTTER!"















Last on the menu (or at least the last thing I cooked that I took a picture of) was eggs for breakfast. Now, I don't really like eggs much, but I couldn't find a cereal I really liked, I don't have a toaster, and all the porridge I found said "cereal drink" on it. Plus I figured eggs...protein...good way to start the day. Again, some spices would have REALLY come in handy. Or some cheese. :-( All I had was that margarine spread to grease the pan and a little milk. All told, it tasted fine, just a little bland. A glass of orange juice and I had myself a decent breakfast. (Just a note, cuz I know there is no point of reference...it's a small plate. I didn't make myself a mountain of eggs for breakfast.)

I bought another package of ramen, this time it was shrimp flavored. That was lunch today and it was very good and not spicy. I'll probably have more dumplings for dinner. I also picked up my lunch swiping card from Amy today, so I'll be able to report on the quality of the school "canteen" (as they call it) after lunch tomorrow.

No comments: